Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Notes from: Saturday March 31, 2012

traditional music
Photo's from Damali's "Introduction" which is the traditional wedding in Uganda.  This is a coming together of the two families and countless customs that unite the bride and groom culturally.  There were probably 400-500 guests but I'm guessing about 1500 people showed up and cashed in on the festivities including the meal.  This coming Saturday she will have the religious ceremony which is a church wedding.
Anna and Morris: settling in for a long but exciting afternoon

Bride's Ladies
Iryn Namubiru: Artist of the Year in Uganda

Iryn and Damali in a processional

very small part of the dowry: chickens, soda, baskets, vegetables, couches, cow, goats, sugar, sodas, on and on...

brothers and family of bride each receive part of the dowry: Ivan lands himself two chickens

Damali and Felix kneel before Damali's adopted father Mark Wattier who directed the orphanage she was raised in.

Damali kneels before Felix.  Lots of kneeling.

Muzungu's accidentally trampling on centuries of tradition by sitting on couch reserved only for Groom's side.
Anna got ahold of my camera: we passed a lot of time and we managed to get some of the best seats in the house.  she got lots of shots of the backs of people's heads

Morris and I sporting our 'kanzus' and suits.  every man was required to wear a kanzu.

3 comments:

  1. This looks like it would have been a blast to be a part of Glenn. I so wished I had been able to make it for this alone. You look ever so dapper in your traditional African clothing. Might I suggest this as a look to pursue once you arrive back home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how much I wish I could have been there Glenn. This looks so fun and like such an incredible experience. By the way Glenn, I think you should consider this look once you come home. You look quite dapper all dressed up this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the kanzus too! very dapper!! i love the colours of the flowers and ladies dresses. Who is Anna?
    What an event to be a part of! I would have loved to be a part of it too! All the dancing and eating and parading around of the dowry animals. so different than our culture. you look like you're fitting in perfectly!

    ReplyDelete