Thursday, March 29, 2012

Notes from: Thursday March 29, 2012

Last week I went to get our vehicle serviced at a shell station.  There were a multitude of problems involving not having the right parts and failing to be able to extract the oil filter and after three hours I left just grateful that the vehicle still worked.

Today I mustered up the wherewithal to try it again this time at a different auto repair yard.  I approached the whole situation with caution knowing that things can go wrong including having the wrong parts put in or generic parts which are not good for the operation of the engine.  The previous owner and a few others have been adamant that servicing needs to happen on time and only genuine parts must be used.  They warned me that I should be present for the servicing so that I can see with my own eyes that proper oil, fluids, and parts are being used.  So, I went into this with suspicion already on my mind.  

I canvassed a little bit trying to find a mechanic that would be proficient and trustworthy.  I came upon ‘Accurate Motor Garage’.  I entered gingerly and pulled into the only possible spot left in a yard filled with vehicles whose fate did not appear to be kind.  In fact, the car next to me was upside down and looked like it had been used for crash up derby and then set on fire. 
 I made a verbal contract with the mechanic that at the very least when it was all over I would be able to start the engine and drive out of the lot.  His name turned out to be ‘Material’.  He was known to be able to find any part for any vehicle.  He and three other mechanics descended upon the vehicle and began a half day of ‘servicing’.  I was present for every bolt that was loosened and every part and every fluid that was replaced.  There was some confusion regarding the fuel filter that we got sorted out and at different times confidence wavered but the men hung in there and answered what must have been the greatest number of questions ever asked during an oil change.  I verified prices from adjacent garages to make sure I wasn’t being overbilled and came out relatively unscathed except for the guy who came to replace the bulbs in the fog lights.  He brought used parts, changed the lights, then vanished leaving only the bill showing that he was expecting to thoroughly hose me for his work.  I left the garage paying for the ‘servicing’ but not the changing of the bulbs.  I told them I would pay what I thought was a reasonable price on another day when the man was around to have words with.  They said this would be fine and were anxious to leave on friendly terms – as was I – and ‘Material’ wanted to exchange numbers and possibly have me visit him at his home.  One of the most well used phrases in Uganda is, ‘It is possible’.  I am feeling quite good about accomplishing this oil change.  I know it doesn’t sound like much but believe me it is not a straightforward matter.  I severely micromanaged something that I know very little about so it is a testimony to the longsuffering nature of these Ugandan mechanics.

I watched a young family go about their livelihood of taking the remains of the fish that have been discarded at the fishery and turn them into something that can be sold in the market.  These are essentially the heads and bones of the fish with very small pieces of flesh still stuck to the bones that are then fried and salted and sold.   

I met with Pastor Timothy to discuss going to one of the local prisons to speak with the prisoners and bring blankets, soap, scabies medicine, painkillers, and a radio.  Timothy is a giant man with hands the size of baseball gloves and an incredible life story.  He has an amazingly soft heart for the poor communities on the islands who are virtually untouched by the rest of the world.  Everyday people die in these villages from sicknesses such as parasites, typhoid, cholera, and bilharzia that we would cure with tablets that cost 50 cents.  Pastor Timothy could crush a man with his bare hands but he is smitten with kindness for those who suffer.  His integrity and presence are palpable.  I sort of tear up watching him.  Knowing the evil that can come from the human heart Pastor Timothy makes up for 100 hearts that are turned toward darkness.   

I went to town to have a hammock made so that I could rest at the baby home in the heat of the day.  This is how it ended up:

I have ordered the same meal for three nights in a row here at the guest house and each night something different has arrived.  Yesterday they washed clothes that I did not put out for washing.  The day before they did not take the clothes that I did put out for washing!   

Again today the guest staff duo that I have referred to previously, Bosco and Gerrard, have toiled over their receipting.  It is all they can do to keep up with the requests for food and drinks that come from the guests.  That said, I am virtually alone in the dining area when I’m here for supper.  Even now, I am sitting in the bar/dining area and there is not a soul in sight and only the howling of a wild dog but Bosco is flipping through his receipt book making sure he’s billed everyone and that the bills are aligned with the proper rooms.  That is the tricky part.  I also learned today from the ‘Head Matron’ that she is resigning the first of April.  There is some dissention in the ranks but that’s all I know right now.  I can also say that the staff are getting pretty tired of all her morning meetings which only used to happen once a week.  Now they are everyday.  I’ll keep you posted.  It’s pretty exciting.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Glenn! How do you do it? Just reading your blog tonight is conjuring up emotions in the pit of my stomach! Do you not feel frustration and annoyance? Why can't a vehicle have an oil change in 20 minutes with good oil and proper service? Are the people corrupt? Does it leave you feeling tainted? Ripped off? Perhaps I'm tired tonight and not understanding the culture.
    Ps....what's with the laundry service????

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post Glenn was hilarious! I was in stitches the whole time. It was a fresh reminder to me that many of the endearing qualities of Ugandan life are also some of the most frustrating. There is this sense of novelty and excitement when an oil change becomes a whole day event or when ordering a simple meal becomes a mystery meal. This is what gives Uganda its charm and also makes it almost unbearable as well. It sounds as though you are taking it all in stride and finding the lighter side of things there. Good on you sir.

    ReplyDelete