Friday, March 09, 2012

98 Isuzu Big Horn 4X4

I thought I should let you see the machine we purchased.  So far it’s proving itself.  With any luck we will actually own it once the transfer papers get completed through the Ugandan Revenue Authority.  We enjoyed their services today and with the CRA as my only comparison I would say I was quite pleased.  That said, we had to go to the United Bank of Africa to pay the fees associated with the transfer.  There were three fees: transfer fee, cancelation fee, and stamp fee.  We were quite happy to pay all the fees but they only knew how to charge us for two.  The stamp fee is still outstanding but not because we were ready and willing to pay.

When we went to pay the owner for the vehicle had to be done in cash and ugandan schillings aren't worth too much so even with the largest denominations we had a real wad to deliver.  Morris has a great sense of responsibility for this vehicle and over the transfer of the money.  He used my money belt and strapped it to himself like a suicide bomber.  I would not want to be the guy who tried to reach for that belt.    

 

   So,  I have a vehicle, my phone is now registered with the government and it is working, and I am in Entebbe waiting for Lynn’s plane to come in and enjoying the botanical vibe here at the guesthouse.  I’m mostly surrounded by retired European travelers.  The power has left us or as is often said around these parts, ‘it is finished’.  This is particularly true of items on the menu.  When everyone has placed their order it is inevitable that the waiter will return and inform half the table that what they ordered ‘is finished’.  Sometimes it seems more straightforward to ask what is ‘ready’ at the outset.  Even still the answer seems to be ‘all is ready’ only to discover shockingly that indeed, ‘it is finished’. 
Entebbe Airport Guest House

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like things are falling into place. Your ride is in pretty good shape. Glad to hear all is well. Oh by the way nice toes Glenn lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Love the is it ready and it is finished! Funny! I guess, u nless you have your heart set on a particular dish!! :)
    The vehicle looks great! Good pick! Probably won't have to ever pay the stamp fee!

    ReplyDelete