Saturday, March 17, 2012

March 14, 2012: Drive to Lira

We drove from Jinja to Lira.  The Mbale to Soroti road is worse than bad.  On a scale of one to ten with ten being the worst paved highway in the history of paved highways I would give this section of road a solid 9.  At one point we hit a pot hole so big I we were falling into it rather than going over it.  I also managed to not see a speed bump, which seem redundant due to the craterlike potholes, which was at least a couple feet high and three or four feet wide.  I flashed back to watching the dukes of hazard in car chases where they land hard on the front wheels then the heads whip back wacking the head rests.  There was a quick learning curve on when to anticipate speed bumps and an ever so slight increase in appreciation for chiropractic care. 

We pulled into Soroti and stopped at a ‘hotel’ on the main street to use the ‘facilities’.  I took the opportunity to ask the waitress/barkeeper how much farther it was to Lira.  She said, ‘It is very far’.  I said, ‘how far’?  She replied, ‘too far’.  I tried further, ‘how long will it take’?  She answered knowingly, ‘a long time’.  I wasn’t giving up, ‘when will we reach Lira’?  Finally she got specific, ‘not till evening’. 

The entire journey including a couple brief stops took 6 hours. 

1 comment:

  1. Ha! That's funny! "how far", very far. :)
    Not so funny when you're really wanting to know. No assurance I guess!

    ReplyDelete