Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Arrival in Entebbe

Fights were smooth except for a rough patch in the middle of the Atlantic where we hit considerable turbulence for about an hour.  Some were crying, we were all clutching our armrests, I secured my paper bag as my stomach questioned its resolve.  Otherwise, smooth.

One of africa's first greeters is the fragrance of it's people.  Think: smoke and burning charcoal, lifelong closeness to the earth, it's dirt and it's fruit, never having eaten a slice of processed anything, strengthened by the smell of toil.  It is a warm and distinctive greeter.

Birds are chirping, children are singing on the their way to school as they pass by the guesthouse, the house dog yawns, pheasants bicker with each other, the pineapples are bursting with juice and the everpresent sound of the yardsmen sweeping the dirt off the grass with a broom.

Today we go looking to purchase a vehicle for ATIN AFRIKA (Morris).  He has been doing his research and we've got a couple of car lots to go to this morning in Kampala.  We'll then head back to Jinja where he has a line on a well maintained Isuzu.  We'll see where the day takes us and what kind of confusion awaits.

What I'm told I need is to slow down.  As the staff showed me to my room last night she walked me to my room at the pace of a vacationing snail.  I feel my insides rushing to stand still.

3 comments:

  1. Loved hearing your description of the arrival! My first comment was "oh know" woodsmoke! You know how I feel about that! :) the turbulence is unsettling but it does pass. Hopefully pilot was reassuring! Lol! Glad you didn't have to use the barf bag!!
    I've tried to FaceTime but hasn't connected. Which email or phone # do I use? Mike said you have to have an apple account. I'll try later again.
    We're driving to FL. Currently approaching London.
    Can't wait to meet the African people. Think I may need Valium!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a safe arrival Glenn!! Your description of your arrival is very entertaining lol. I think this trip will be just what you need. Listen to the snail, you might be surprised what you will learn. Take it easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved the description of the smell Glenn, one of the most distinctive parts of being in Uganda for sure, thanks for taking me there againg

    ReplyDelete