Thursday, April 19, 2012

Notes from: April 18, 2012

George and two chickens.
Drove to Lira Wednesday.  Picked up three guys I've met in Jinja who wanted a lift.  I was happy for the company.  George started loading his stuff into the back of my vehicle while I got talking to someone else.  When I returned to the vehicle I checked the back hatch to make sure everything was in order.  Opening the hatch door I found two huge sacks of silver fish and two live chickens perched on top.  Everyone seemed happy enough and ready for the journey.  The fella’s passed several hours discussing politics and all of them seemed well versed in the latest corruption scandal as reggae grooved and charmed us over the 400 km north.  As I’ve mentioned previously the section between Mbale and Soroti just punishes you.  The smooth road beyond Soroti feels like a dream. 

coming into Mbale.  Mt. Elgon in background

all too common sight.  overturned trucks.  


Ugandans can laugh at themselves with ease.  It is almost like a national pastime.  People who make the news for doing something really stupid become famous.  The guy carrying a pig on the back of his boda or four men jammed together ride along with big grins.  They have a great sense of humor which can be quite astute.  Even in the midst of expressing anger they seem capable of shifting seamlessly to levity.




Incidentally, for those following along I paid a visit to ‘Accurate Motor Garage’ to collect my money from Issa.  He wasn’t in.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the picture of Mbale and Mount Elgon in the background. Some of my fondest Ugandan memories are at Sipi Falls, just past the place where you took this photo. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to.

    I had to laugh when you mentioned that Issa wasn't in at 'Accurate Motor Garage'. Even should you never see that money again Glenn, I am still convinced you got a good deal on the repairs to your car! Four hours talking politics with Ugandans must have been interesting. What is the political issue of the day for them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not sure what the specific issue is but we seemed to bounce effortlessly between scandals. My understanding is that the prime minister has been caught in embezzelment by just about every court in the country but somehow he finds himself in good shape politically.

      Delete