Friday, April 13, 2012

Notes from: April 12, 2012

Everyone is on the phone in Africa but here is how it often goes:

Me: Yes, hello, this is Glenn speaking? 
Other: Hello.
Me: Yes, this is Glenn?
Other: Hello.
Me: Yes, this is Glenn, who is calling please?
Other: Hello.
Me: I am called, Glenn.
Other: Thank you, please.
Click.  They hang up.

As I have experienced it the first several minutes of most calls is simply establishing our respective identities.  In some cases getting much past this is a real bonus.  It’s not just me either.  Even now I’m sitting near a Ugandan lady who is having this very same conversation with someone.  Phones are everywhere in Africa but it doesn’t necessarily mean people are connecting in fact it is quite likely that if someone calls you the line will cut out within 30 seconds because they are out of airtime.  You call them back and their phone is turned off.  You finally reach them later that day and the conversation above takes place.

Another curious happening here is that in some circumstances people are eager to help and will shamelessly tell you that they can get whatever you need at any cost.  In other contexts like at the guest house with ‘Innocent’ (manager) whatever I ask is usually ‘not possible’.

If someone asks me ‘do you want more beans?’ and I say, ‘It’s OK’, to me it means ‘no thanks’.  ‘It’s OK’ in Uganda means, ‘yes please’.  This little thing has generated considerable confusion given that the difference between ‘yes’ and ‘no’ can be significant.    

Place called, 'Masese' in Jinja.




2 comments:

  1. funny conversations on the phone...can't quite grasp that occurring in ON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you would find it hard to believe Glenn how much pleasure I am having imagining you having these phone conversations and trying to figure out why every time you say you are okay you end up with more food. Quite frankly it is surprising to even me how funny I am finding this post. Perhaps it is just too late, being 1am here, but this post is making me laugh out loud...goodnight that is good stuff.

    ReplyDelete